Tim is an experienced civil litigator with extensive experience in education law, professional liability defense, and business litigation.
Prior to rejoining Barton Gilman, Tim served as a development officer for the Rhode Island Foundation and as the executive director of the Rhode Island League of Charter Schools. More recently, Tim served as the director of development and partnerships at the Coalition for College, where he draws on his experience as a litigator, fundraiser and leader on behalf of the Coalition and the students it serves.
Before becoming a lawyer, Tim taught high school English for four years, and then co-founded Schoolyard, Inc., which developed and maintained comprehensive websites for independent schools.
- As general counsel for an independent school, redrafted key sections of the school’s employment contracts and personnel policies manual, and advised the school’s administration on contract disputes and student disciplinary issues, helping to avert potentially costly litigation.
- Successfully advocated for the rights of public school administrators in court and on appeal before the Rhode Island Department of Education.
- On behalf of a Rhode Island public charter school, persuaded the Rhode Island Supreme Court to order a local school district to reimburse the charter school for tuition payments the district had wrongfully withheld under a mistaken interpretation of state law.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an insurance carrier in Connecticut Superior Court dismissing the claim of a woman seeking underinsurance coverage for injuries resulting from an auto accident, successfully arguing that the woman’s lawsuit was filed beyond the time limitation permitted under the insurance policy.
- Persuaded a Connecticut Superior Court judge after a full trial to reject the personal injury claim of a woman involved in a motor vehicle accident.
- Played a substantial role in obtaining a defense verdict in Connecticut Superior Court on behalf of a home heating oil delivery company related to a property damage claim.
- Successfully represented a condominium association at trial obtaining an injunction to prevent unlawful construction.
Roger Williams University School of Law (J.D., cum laude), Ralph R. Papitto Presidential Scholar
Middlebury College, Bread Loaf School of English (M.A., magna cum laude), Elizabeth Cubeta Memorial Scholar
Colby College (B.A. in English, cum laude with distinction in major)
- Rhode Island
- “R.I. charter schools need predictable funding,” opinion piece by Timothy Groves, Providence Journal (June 13, 2016)
- “Raimondo harms charter schools,” opinion piece by Timothy Groves, Providence Journal (March 29, 2016)
Tim served as a law clerk to Rhode Island Supreme Court Justice Paul Suttell.
- Rhode Island Rising Star, Super Lawyers (2011-2012)
- Member, Executive Director’s Council of the San Miguel School
- Volunteer Mentor, Year Up in Providence
- Member, Governance Committee of the Rhode Island Council for the Humanities
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association and
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Save the Bay Organization
- Advisory Board Member, Big Brothers of the Ocean State
- Volunteer soccer coach, East Side Sports Youth Soccer League