Robert M. Elmer is an exceptional trial lawyer with a track record of success in the courtroom. He has considerable experience in the areas of insurance coverage, real estate, commercial litigation, employment law, marine insurance, and professional liability, including matters before the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine. Bob is also an accomplished appellate court attorney. He primarily practices in the courts of Massachusetts, but has also practiced in the courts of Rhode Island and New York.
Bob taught Health and Hospital Law as an Adjunct Professor of Law at New England School of Law from 2003 through 2006.
- Notre Dame Law School (J.D., cum laude, 1998)
- University of Notre Dame (B.A., 1994)
- New York
- Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict following a two-week trial dismissing a commercial lease claim against his client in excess of $1 million based on an affirmative defense of waiver.
- Secured a defense verdict in a wrongful death claim against a physician corporation alleging failure to diagnose lung cancer.
- Successfully defended a client through to a jury verdict, and also obtained a six-figure counterclaim for breach of contract in a case alleging bad faith insurance practices and violations of Chapter 93A.
- Persuaded a panel of the Massachusetts Appeals Court to uphold an arbitrator’s ruling that the firm’s client was entitled to a $450,000 setoff for its payment of a commercial mortgage pre-payment penalty.
- Successfully argued before the 1st Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, convincing the court to uphold a declaratory judgment he obtained from the U.S. District Court. The lower court declared that his client, an excess insurer, had no obligation to reimburse a professional liability insurer for a pro rata share of $5 million in defense costs.
- Obtained a six-figure settlement, including attorneys’ fees, in an ERISA matter on behalf of a client whose claim for long term disability benefits was denied by the long term disability plan administrator.
- Persuaded the Massachusetts Board of Registration of Plumbers and Gas Fitters to suspend and ultimately amend certain regulations that were inequitable to his client.
- Junior Fellow, Boston Bar Foundation
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Rhode Island Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
Bob enjoys recreational lobstering with his son, Luke, overnight cruising on his sailboat with his family, and 'catching air' on the ski slopes.