Richard is experienced in all aspects of litigation, alternative dispute resolution, trials, and appeals. Focusing on business, tort, insurance, and commercial disputes, he represents large corporations, as well as small closely-held businesses and individuals, including national retailers, financial institutions, insurance companies, insurance and real estate brokerage firms, and professionals.
Before entering private practice, Richard was a prosecuting attorney in Franklin County, Columbus, Ohio.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law (J.D., Trial Practice Honors)
- Wittenberg University (B.A. in Political Science and Government, cum laude)
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, Ohio
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
Richard tries cases in state and federal courts and represents clients in arbitrations, mediations and before administrative agencies. He has represented both defendants and plaintiffs in a wide variety of cases, including: general commercial and business litigation, negligence and personal injury, labor and employment, defamation, products liability, environmental, pharmacological, malpractice and other professional liability (including attorneys, doctors, dentists, accountants, insurance and real estate brokers’ and agents’ errors and omissions), fidelity and surety, estate and probate disputes, domestic relations and many types of disputes regarding insurance coverage.
Richard has conducted well over four hundred trials as sole trial counsel, and he has served as a mediator and arbitrator on numerous disputes.
- “Insurance Brokers, Agents and Advisors” in Massachusetts Liability Insurance Manual, a comprehensive and practical treatise on liability insurance published by Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (2000 and thereafter updated) (contributed chapter)
- Received the President’s Award from the Boston Bar Association for his service in the BBA Mentoring Program since 2009
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers® (2004–2020)
- AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Mentoring Program Chair, Boston Bar Association Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Member, Boston Bar Association
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Chair of the Sophomore and Senior Class Parents Challenge Committee, Kenyon College
Rick is the happy husband of Stephanie, a long-time social worker at Boston Children’s Hospital, and a father and grandfather. He enjoys golf or supporting his hometown Cleveland sports teams.