Edward D. Shoulkin is a skilled trial and appellate attorney with 30 years of experience in a broad range of litigation matters. He represents multinational corporations, small businesses and individuals in business disputes, construction litigation, product liability cases, premises liability actions, liquor liability claims, environmental litigation, trucking and motor vehicle accident cases, and insurance coverage matters.
Ed has particular expertise in defending professionals in civil disputes and disciplinary proceedings, including accountants, real estate brokers, health care providers, insurance agents, attorneys, property managers, home inspectors, and other professionals.
Clients rely on Ed’s skills and experience in achieving favorable outcomes at trial, as well as through dispositive motions and alternative dispute resolution. His consulting services also assist clients in risk management, litigation avoidance, and resolution of professional ethics issues.
Ed also represents clients in the entertainment law field, including video gamers, in drafting and negotiating contracts, and providing a range of other services to protect and grow their business interests.
In addition to his practice, Ed serves as the firm’s co-managing partner for the Boston office.
- Boston University School of Law (J.D.) Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar
- State University of New York at Albany (B.A., cum laude)
- U.S. District Court, Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Massachusetts
- Obtained a court order dismissing various claims related to an accounting firm’s fraud investigation of a municipality’s employee.
- Secured the dismissal of multiple accounting firms that have been sued in shareholder disputes involving their corporate clients.
- Obtained a defense verdict at trial for an orthopedic surgeon in a case alleging wrongful death.
- Successfully defended a real estate broker before the Massachusetts Board of Real Estate Brokers and Salespersons in a disciplinary complaint following the collapse of a residential real estate sale.
- Persuaded the Massachusetts Superior Court to dismiss an employment retaliation claim alleging discrimination on the basis of national origin.
- Secured the dismissal of a malpractice action against an accounting firm and the imposition of sanctions against the plaintiff in a case arising from the electronic filing of incorrect draft versions of tax returns, which the plaintiffs alleged resulted in the delayed receipt of a $100,000 tax refund and lost investment opportunity damages of almost $1 million.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a national food supplier in a food-borne illness product liability action in the Connecticut Superior Court.
- Successfully obtained injunctive relief to enforce a non-competition clause against former employees who had wrongfully taken the client’s customer lists to start a new business.
- Successfully persuaded a hearing panel of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers to reinstate an attorney’s license who had been suspended indefinitely from the practice of law for allegedly commingling and converting client funds.
- Successfully defended a health care provider at arbitration against drug toxicity claims.
- Obtained an arbitration victory for a medical provider against claims the provider negligently failed to diagnose prostate cancer.
- Persuaded a judge in the Business Litigation Session of the Massachusetts Superior Court to dismiss a consumer protection claim against an accounting firm. The judge took the unusual step of dismissing the claim of the plaintiff early in the case before discovery had taken place.
- “Liability for misrepresenting zoning designations in R.E.,” New England Real Estate Journal, Aug. 9, 2013
- “Accountants Beware: What Every CPA Should Know About the Massachusetts Consumer Protection Act” (two-part article), SUMNews, Fall 2012 and Winter 2013
- “Vicarious liability: Let the master answer,” American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS NOW), June 2007
- Martindale-Hubbell National Law Directory AV rating, the highest rating available for legal ability and ethical standards (2005–2020)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Directory (2013–2018)
- AVVO Superb Rating as Top Business Attorney
Ed has served as a lecturer at a number of seminars on trial practice, risk management and professional liability topics.
- Social Media and Online Investigations, CLM Massachusetts Chapter (November 2020)
- Board of Directors and Legislative Liaison, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers Association
- Founding Member, Massachusetts Chapter Secretary, Board of Directors, and Professional Liability Committee, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute
- Past Member, Board of Trustees, Temple Beth Elohim
- Past Member, Bikur Cholim Committee, Temple Beth Elohim
- Past Member, Pastoral Care Committee, Temple Beth Elohim
- Former Den Leader, Cub Scout pack of the Boy Scouts of America